A web designer/developer is responsible for the design, layout and coding of a website. We are involved with the technical and graphical aspects of a website – how the site works and how it looks. We can also be involved with the maintenance and update of an existing site.
In order to design a website, a web designer/developer will:
- establish the purpose of the website based upon its target audience
- identify the type of content the site will host
- determine any functionality that the site must support, for example, whether it will handle financial transactions or enquiries
- give guidance on layout, colours and styles.
After establishing the target audience for a website and identifying the type of content it will host, a web designer/developer will:
- write the programming code, either from scratch or by adapting existing website software and graphics packages to meet business requirements
- test the website and identify any technical problems
- upload the site onto a server and register it with different search engines.